Legal Administrative Assistant
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a Legal Administrative Assistant to join our Charlottesville, Va. office. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
The principal responsibilities of the Legal Administrative Assistant are to provide support to the attorneys in the office and perform and coordinate administrative functions. This support will fall into two main categories. The assistant will have a full range of legal support responsibilities, including court-related filings and research tasks. In addition, the assistant will assist in report and presentation preparation and help maintain an efficient and well-organized office.
All staff are currently working in a hybrid model of 3 in-office working days and 2 remote working days per week. All staff are required to be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 prior to beginning work in one of our offices.
Come join SELC and help make a difference in our region.
- Provides general administrative support, including answering phones, ordering office supplies, setting up meetings, booking travel, and submitting expense reports.
- Provides legal and administrative support to SELC attorneys, including submitting court filings in both State and Federal Courts, submitting comment letters, researching local court rules, calendaring deadlines, proofreading and editing written materials, and other legal support tasks.
- Maintains digital and physical files including pleadings, transcripts, memos, and correspondence.
- Submits FOIA requests and reviews responsive documents in e-discovery software; experience with Logikcull a plus.
- Communicates regularly with partner groups and experts.
- Performs non-legal research related to our work, including tracking data.
- Assists fellow legal assistants with daily tasks in a collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent mix of education and experience.
- At least two years of legal assistant or paralegal experience.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; you engage in ongoing personal learning and are eager to contribute to our organizational efforts to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Cheerful outlook and enthusiasm for administrative support, and substantive tasks.
- Highly dependable and punctual.
- Ability to work well both independently and within several different teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office applications, including editing and working with PDFs in Adobe, formatting and formulas in Excel spreadsheets, advanced word processing skills in Word, and creating professional Power Point presentations.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills.
- Litigation support experience.
- Environmental interest.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 170, including more than 80 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
To apply, click on the ‘Apply Now’ button below to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. Interested persons should apply immediately.
SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.